Saturday, November 4, 2023

Fall Film Festival: Francis Calls for Action

students watch film
Two Mount Mercy students watching one of the videos as the Fall Diversity Film Festival.

I feel the need to get a copy of “Laudato Si,” a 2015 encyclical by Pope Francis. I know I can read it for free online, but I would prefer a booklet version.

On Friday, the Department of Social Work at Mount Mercy University held a “Fall Diversity Film Festival.” You could go to Flaherty Community Room, grab some popcorn and a beverage like hot cider or hot chocolate, and then choose another room in Basile to view a film.

Six films were offered, but due to having a music practice Friday afternoon, I was only able to view two. Before going to the Chapel of Mercy to practice ringing hand bells, I watched “Coexistence Architecture: VinziRast-mittendrin.” It was a six-minute look at a project in Vienna where people in need are housed together and work at a restaurant. I liked that film, then went to my bell practice, and came back.

For my second film, I selected “The Letter.” My plan was to watch half of it and them probably head home for the day because the showing was broken into part 1 and 2—but instead, I stayed and watched the whole thing. It was too compelling to stop.

The 2022 YouTube documentary is about an invitation sent by The Vatican for various people (among them two scientists from Hawaii, a climate refugee from Senegal, a 13-year-old climate activist from India, an indigenous chief from the Amazon region) to meet Pope Francis as representatives of the many types of people who experience the negative impact of climate change.

The event was set up by the Laudato Si Movement, named after the Pope’s 2015 encyclical “Laudato Si” which he wrote as a letter to all of humanity, enjoining us to wake up to the environmental crisis we face. I know that the event was, to some extent, a PR stunt, but it was genuine, too. The voices of these people were important to listen to.

The central problem that Francis spoke about in the film is that humans don’t seem to understand how urgent it is to act to reverse global warming.

“We see what is happening, and the worst thing is we are becoming used to it,” he said.

Student watching film
MMU student enjoys popcorn while watching a film.

My favorite person to watch in the documentary was Ridhima Pandey, the 13-year-old girl from India. The documentary features all of the people getting their invitation to meet Francis in Rome, and she was clearly excited as only a child can be. And yet she was also smart and mature for her age—sometimes, the young have not yet had their vision clouded by years and can speak and see clearly.

Then there was the heartbreaking moment when Arouna Sande, a climate refugee from Senegal, gets a cell phone call from a friend who joined other climate refugees on a dangerous boat journey to reach Europe. Most didn’t make it when the boat sank.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the event and only wished I had seen more films. I was moved by “The Letter,” and I hope others will be, too. Fortunately, the full film is available for free on YouTube:




No comments:

Post a Comment